Sunday, October 30, 2011

Durarara! and my brain goes lalalala

I have just finished marathoning Durarara!!

I have these thoughts in my brain, but they are mostly incoherent and and essentially impressions, so please bear with me.

The summary of a summary - it was ond  helluva fun ride, but I have no clear idea what it was about (but I have my guesses). You should watch it too, because chances are you'll be just as perplexed and entertained - and glued to the monitor - as I was.

I might come up with a more coherent post later, but for now for the purposes of scrambling together at least some words and stringing them into sentences a list will have to do.

1. This anime rocks the warped wave so proficiently that I'll never agree with its shounen tag. The sheer amount of creeps, freaks and weirdos per capita threatens to overwhelm the capita in question. You're in for a fest of dysfucntional relationships, and the scariest bit is that by mid-series you'll be growing mushy on some of those (some, okay? Because I can never endorse an ototo-complex, for obvious personal reasons). The unrivalled cherry on top of this wacko-fest is Izaya the creepypie, the mastermind of all things Durarara whose motives, I believe, all boil down to I-was-bored. And you'll totally get why 99% of Durarara fanmixes are Shizaya. Just saying. I can recommend the best ones, too *hoho*




1.2. To Hei fans: Shizaya is a canon slash, too. Dotachin's sidekicks said so.




2. I have no idea what was the main point of the show (except providing excellent entertainment). Was it about gang wars? Internet? Mythology? Creeps? High school life being the epitome of abnormality? Love to humankind and bazillion ways it can go wrong? *I wish I was kidding*



3. The diversity of the cast is really commendable. There are some recognizable types, but they're not prevailent, and you really enjoy your show one creep at a time. I meant, one character at a time *ahem* The greatest part is changing your opinion 180 degrees about one or another character every second episode - that says something about the coolness of plot twists and character depth, methinks. My best friend who marathoned with me can testify to the fact that I was exclaiming "This is the most warped guy in the whole of the series!" or "They can define dysfunctionality!" about different characters every time.

4. Did I mention it was riveting? You never know everything that's in store for you, even with setting your imagination loose and making the wildest guesses (ah, whatever brilliant mind allowed the Japanese to defy common sense in storytelling? Bless'em)

5. It certainly deserves rewatching, even probably more so than Darker than Black did, because I'm sure I missed a lot of plotpoints. And as someone said, the master magician can make you enjoy the same trick twice, first showing the trick and then explaining it. I think seeing the story come whole by noticing the important - in hindsight - elements might make it an altogether different kind of fun.

PS. Did you know how hard I tried not to post spoilery pictures here? There is just so.much.awesomeosity in stock, just you wait! *gleeful*

No comments:

Post a Comment